Women's Soccer

Pitt’s Sarah Schupansky, Amanda West pick apart SU defense in 6-0 win

Arnav Pokhrel | Staff Photographer

Sarah Schupansky totaled five points while Amanda West recorded four for Pittsburgh in a 6-0 rout of Syracuse.

Sarah Schupansky dribbled up the left flank with plenty of space. As Kylen Grant crashed toward her, Schupansky went to the inside, preparing for a right-footed pass. Amanda West ran through the middle of the field where Schupansky delivered the ball.

West collected it, took three touches to her right and then quickly cut to her left foot as she dribbled into the 18-yard-box. She sent a shot into the top left corner of the net past Shea Vanderbosch for a goal.

The goal was West’s second of the day and Schupansky’s third assist. It was also the sixth goal of the game for No. 17 Pittsburgh (12-2-1, 5-1-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) as it trounced Syracuse (2-11-2, 0-6-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) 6-0. The Pittsburgh attack picked apart the Syracuse defense all afternoon, tallying six goals on 32 shots. Schupansky and West were at the forefront of it.

Entering Saturday afternoon’s contest, Schupansky was Pittsburgh’s leading scorer, totaling nine goals and six assists through 14 games. Her nine goals also led the ACC. Schupansky only boosted her statistics against Syracuse, scoring one goal and adding three assists.

In the first half, Schupansky received the ball on the right sideline with Kate Murphy cutting off her ability to drive with her right toward the corner flag. Schupansky went to her left and played a cross into the box.

The ball was perfectly placed on the top of the 6-yard box where Samiah Phiri was wide open. Phiri headed it past Vanderbosch to double the Panthers’ lead.

Schupansky’s ability to dribble and serve passes with both feet across the pitch caused major issues for the SU defense. While Murphy cut off her ability to go right, the defense was out of position for the cross, not expecting Schupansky to the pass with her left across the field.

Then, one minute into the second half, Schupansky collected the ball with her back to the goal around 20 yards outside of the 18. She quickly turned with the ball and went to her left as Ashley Rauch cut off her right.

Schupansky beat Rauch, but Rauch closed quickly. Schupansky hesitated to create separation, then dribbled to her left and faded toward the corner of the box.

With Rauch sagging off, Schupansky whipped her body toward the net, hitting the ball into the top right corner of the net. She added two more assists in the second half before being taken out with many of the other starters after gaining a six-goal lead.

Syracuse’s defense didn’t apply enough pressure for the task at hand. Entering the game, Pittsburgh was second in the conference in shots with 295 and goals with 39. SU had little margin for error, but allowed the Panthers to dominate.

Amanda West was a driving force for the Panthers. West entered the game tied for first in the conference in shots with 58. She also was first in shots on goal with 31 and second in goals with six. West added one goal in each half against SU.

Pittsburgh’s attack is statistically one of the best in the conference and the nation. Following the game against the Orange, the Panthers now lead the ACC in goals with 45 and have the top three goal scorers in Schupansky, West and Phiri.

The Syracuse defense had faced strong offenses in the past this season. Against then-No. 3 Florida State, the Orange allowed 32 shots and 19 on net. But, the score was close and the Seminoles won on a goal with five minutes remaining. Vanderbosch’s 16 saves helped keep the game tight.

Facing Wake Forest, SU was outshot 29-3. Vanderbosch came up big again, making 12 saves and helping the team earn a tie. Against Pittsburgh, though, Vanderbosch’s 11 saves weren’t enough to keep things close.